Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ashoka Indian Cuisine






Being of Indian decent, my family and I generally go out and eat Indian food. As much as we love eating Indian food, we love criticizing the food and the service. Now what better review would I do other than Indian food? I decided to go to Ashoka, a local Indian restaurant in Canton, Michigan. Once I entered the restaurant, I was greeted by mannered employees, who, it seems, have been trained quite well. Decorated with paintings of old times in India, the mood was set at a way that one feels relaxed. I was seated at a booth, along with my family, and was feeling really good about this restaurant. The cleanliness was good, and there were enough wait staff for a good experience. There were a lot of people there, from a young couple to elderly people with their grand kids, so this restaurant is family friendly. Being an Indian restaurant, there was much diversity, with people from every continent. No doubt this is a family restaurant, there is also a bar, with imported liquor from India and Europe.

The food, I think, is quite pricey, even for Indian food standards; the average price for an entre is about fifteen dollars. With a party of five, and ordering three dishes with dessert and appetizers, the bill was around $70. We must remember that this is not a fine-dining restaurant, but an average looking restaurant--a bit higher-class than a Max and Ermas. Aside from the price, the food was delicious. Especially the Indian Chinese food; I would actually come here for Fried Rice instead of a Chinese restaurant. My family and I ordered Chilli Chicken, Chicken Haka Noodles, and Lamb Biryani. These dishes are by far the best Indian Food I have had at a restaurant, hands down. Haka Noodles are stir fry noodles with a choice of meat or vegetables. The Lamb Biryani is a savory dish with meat and rice. Finally Chilli Chicken is this delectable spicy chicken that will leave the eater begging for more. The dessert was very authentic--the Gulab Jamun was amazing, and each bite was complemented with a soft and warm feeling. Gulab Jamun is fried bread with syrup. Indian food, usually being spicy, can be difficult for some to eat. Ashoka offers three grades of spice, mild, medium, or hot; with that everyone's spice level is met.

But aside from the food, the one thing that sort of got to me was the wait time. Having a restaurant full to its max, the food took some time to get to us. Also the food was not hot or cold, it was warm, which is a bit of a turn off to some, but I did not mind. They could hire more waiters and waitresses, even though there were like seven, they looked a bit frantic. The wait staff worked hard and got all orders right and got the orders to the people as fast as they could, it was just that the restaurant was full. My family and I were quite fortunate, after we were seated there was a line of people waiting to be seated, along with many carry out orders.

All in all, this restaurant was very good, if someone wants to drop $70-$100 for Indian food. The food, by far, was the best restaurant-style Indian food. The service was good, the restaurant was clean, and the food was exceptional. The only thing that I did not like was the pricing, there are other Indian restaurants in Metro Detroit that offer food for less money, but as the saying goes; what you pay for is what you get.


Important Information

2100 Haggerty Road

Canton MI, 48187

Phone Number: (734) 844-3100

Hours :

Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM

Lunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Dinner: Monday Thru Thursday 5:30 PM- 10:00 PM

Dinner: Friday and Saturday 5:30 PM-10:30 PM

Dinner: Sunday 5:30PM- 9:00 PM

http://www.ashokaindiancuisine.com

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum! The pictures made me hungry. I have tried Indian food before and I loved it. I want to try some more though so I guess I might have to stop by this restaurant. Its a little expensive but it wont hurt to try it once or twice. I will spoil myself to a nice expensive meal : )

    I like all the information you added at the end. For example the Lunch and Dinner times and location. You got the points for the pictures, readibility, prices and words. As far as it being accessible to students at the University not so much it is a little far unless you live out in that area. Over all you did a good job you convinced me to try it but again I am in love with food and Ill eat almost anything lol.

    I think you deserve a 28 or 29 out of 30.

    ReplyDelete